Wednesday, September 16, 2009

thanks, Ralph

"Finish each day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day;
you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
The last 48 hours of my life have been a little...stressful, to say the least. However, when I lay my head down on my pillow tonight, (more like early morning) I must remember- I have done what I could, despite some 'blunders' and 'absurdities' along the way. I must forget them as soon as I can because...tomorrow is a new day!
Sometimes, it's hard for me to let go of my mistakes and imperfections. Sometimes, I want to hold on to them tightly and cling to them, analyzing them over and over. I take them with me to bed at night. They lay there with me and are heavy upon my chest.
There is no joy in that, certainly no peace. So tonight, I must let those blunders roll off my shoulders. I must remember God's mercies are new every morning. He gives strength and refreshment to weary and tired bones. I'm grateful for that.
Thanks, Ralph. You were a pretty smart dude.

3 comments:

Daisy Swift said...

i love your blog its so cool!!!

AV said...

love this. thank you.

Sarah said...

Lauren, this is one of my most favorite quotes. It brings me such peace! Thank you for sharing... :)
p.s. I am excited that we can be blog friends!