Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Funeral and a New Life

As I celebrate
[contemplate, ponder, consider, marvel]
Easter-
many emotions and thoughts are stirred up within me.


Today, I celebrate the death of Christ. With his death on the cross, Jesus paid for every sin and experienced the full wrath of God....for me. He has beaten, bruised, scarred, and crushed-that by His wounds, I would be healed. His innocent blood has washed my guilty life.

"He gave up His divine privileges;
He took the humble position of a slave
and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,
he humbled himself in obedience to God
and died a criminal's death on a cross."
[Philippians 2:7-8]

Today, I also celebrate my own death.
"For I have been crucified with Christ,
and it is no longer I who live,
but Christ lives in me..."
[Galatians 2:20]
Today, my old self is dead. The old me died with Christ. Therefore, I am no longer a slave to my old ways. My sin can no longer master me. He gave me a way out.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ,
he is a new creation;
the old has passed away,
behold, all things are new!"
[2nd Cor. 5:17]
Today, I celebrate my own funeral. The death of my former self, who was nailed to the cross with Christ. Because I died with Him, I was also raised with Him to walk in a new life. He made this marvelous exchange.
He did something inconceivable.
He was pierced for my transgressions and my endless unrighteousness, so that when the Father looks at me-He doesn't condemn me. He now looks at me as His adopted child.
So, today I celebrate my funeral and my new life. I hope you're celebrating too. Happy Easter.

No comments: